Resources & Questions clients frequently ask me
Cat Groomers outside my service area: Groomers dedicated to holistic and/or force-free methods are hard to find. I administer a holistic cat grooming group on Facebook & may be able to recommend a cat groomer in another state who is a member of the Holistic Cat Groomers Alliance.
Dog Groomers: Wet Whisker specializes in felines, yet I still get requests to groom dogs. Try these businesses which specialize in dogs.
- Studio Fifty-Fur: Mobile van dog grooming. 630-559-6219 Joan & I went to the same grooming academy.
- Scrubby Doo Mobile Doggie Spa: Mobile van dog grooming. 847-544-8120
- Pawfect Styles: Holistic oriented Salon at 728 S Main St
Lombard, Illinois. (630) 254-5237 Facebook page
What were those treats you gave my cat & where can I find them?
- Stella & Chewy’s Carnivore Crunch, Duck. Available at independent retailers including:
- All Things Woof & Meow in Roselle. They also have Yeowww! brand catnip
- Trellis Farm & Garden- 2 locations in St.Charles. They also carry Yeowww! catnip
- Natural Pet in Wheaton
- Healthy Pet in Aurora (also sells Yeowww!)
- Wet Nose in Oak Brook & Geneva
- Pet Supplies Plus at some locations
- Wildside Salmon
- Natural Pet, Healthy Pet, & Wet Nose
- Sardines- Wild-caught, water-packed, no added salt, from the grocery (e.g. Trader Joe’s). High in Omega-3’s, which are beneficial to fur & skin
What tools did you recommend?
Long-haired Cats: Follow the instructions I gave for your cat’s fur.
- Metal Combs: Coarse/Medium (greyhound style), staggered teeth (carding), & fine/super fine- also called face/feet comb (Pictured) .
Chris Christensen makes the combs I use. See chrissystems.com for #006 5″ FACE & FEET FINE/COARSE COMB $33
and #013 6″ CAT/CARDING DUAL TOOTH COMB $51
- Undercoat Rake: Double row of pointed teeth, with or without rotation. Blunt tipped pins will not remove any fur. Do not overuse.
- Zoom Groom Curry Brush: A purple colored, soft rubber brush by Kong. Follow with a metal comb.
- A small, very soft, cat slicker brush (bent wire bristles)
- Brush: natural boar hair, brass pin, or wooden pin brush
- V shaped rake: metal pins & wooden handle. On some cats the V works better than the double row & vice versa. Ask me which works on your cat’s fur at your appointment.
Short-haired Cats: Same, except a single row rake & no wide-toothed combs.
Where can you purchase these tools? Occasionally, I carry fine tooth combs for clients to purchase. The Groomers Mart carries some of the items above in inexpensive versions.